One thing we love about fall is that new flavors and foods are in season—like eggplant! This delicious eggplant marinara flatbread recipe, via Bon Appetit, is the perfect appetizer for any occasion.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick eggplant rounds (from one large)
- 1 loaf ciabatta or pain rustique, cut horizontally in half, trimmed to 9-inch length
- 1 1/4 cups fresh marinara sauce
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 whole basil leaves for garnish
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and pepper. Place in skillet, cover and cook until tender, turning, for 10 minutes. Transfer to plate. Brush cut side of bottom half of bread with rest of oil. Cook in skillet, cut side down, until golden, 1 minute.
- Place bread, cut side up, on baking sheet. Spread with 3/4 cup sauce. Crumble goat cheese over bread and sprinkle with chopped basil. Top with eggplant. Mound mozzarella on eggplant; spoon remaining sauce over.
- Bake bread until topping is hot and crust is crisp, about 12 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces. Garnish with basil leaves.